“The Governing Board expects that students will present themselves in a manner which will not disrupt the educational program of the school. Their appearance should be neat, clean and acceptable to the general society and in keeping with the activities at the school. The Governing Board considers this to be a judgment area of the site administrator of the school (BP 5132).”
The Dress Standard applies to all school days, and all school activities. Clothing should be comfortable, clean and appropriate.
The following guidelines are based upon safety and the idea that grooming and clothing should not be distracting to others:
The school administration recognizes that fashion trends may pose challenges for students in finding appropriate clothing; however, it is important to maintain a proper learning environment. Parents/guardians and students are requested to take the proper steps to ensure their clothing meets the standards of the dress code. Whether clothing meets dress code guidelines will be determined by the way the clothes fit as the student participates in the regular activities of the school day (e.g. walking, sitting, standing, or moving about). The appropriateness of clothing in question as per this dress code will be left to the discretion of the school administration (RUSD board policy 5132).
The following guidelines apply to all regular school activities:
- No make-up may be worn or brought to school.
- Shoes must be worn at all times. Comfortable shoes, snugly fit and secured, covering the entire foot are strongly encouraged. If sandals are worn, they must be securely held in place with an ankle strap. Staff reserves the right to hold students wearing sandals from recess activities and equipment, if concern arises. No flip flops or shoes with wheels are allowed. All students are required to wear appropriate athletic shoes during PE instruction.
- Extreme or inappropriate hair color or hair style resulting in a disruption of instructional activities is not acceptable. Hair that impairs vision or eye contact is not appropriate. Teachers and Administration will determine appropriateness of hair color or style.
- Clothing, jewelry, and personal items shall be free of writing, pictures, or other insignia which are crude, vulgar, profane, or sexually suggestive or which advocate racial, ethnic, or religious prejudice or promote the use of drugs, alcohol, tobacco, or violence.
- Hats, caps, hoods, and other head coverings shall not be worn indoors. Hats may be worn outdoors and must face forward. Exceptions will be made for medical or religious reasons.
- All clothing shall be within the bounds of decency and good taste as appropriate for school:
- Shorts and skirt minimum length is 5 inches between the knee and the hem of the garment. A 3X5 index card will be used for measurement. If there is a slit in a skirt, where the slit ends is considered the edge of the garment.
- Garments shall be sufficient to conceal undergarments at all times.
- No bare midriffs, low-cut or revealing tops, halter tops, tube tops, “off the shoulder” tops, “see-through” or “fish net” tops or shirts. Shoulder straps on sleeveless shirts must be at least one inch in width.
- Pant/shorts must fit at the waist and not necessitate the use of a belt.
- No garment may be worn that is cut-off, frayed, ragged, or torn.
- Head scarves and bandanas may not be worn.
- Swim/beachwear, exercise wear, and spandex-type clothing may not be worn. Leggings may be worn if a long shirt or skirt covers to mid- thigh.
- Chains of any kind and clothing or jewelry with protrusions that could be considered dangerous may not be worn.