What is Reading Counts?
(A) Scholastic Reading Counts! is an independent reading program which combines reading practice and software-based reading assessment. Instructionally flexible, mastery focused, and professionally written, SRC! is the program PROVEN to develop reading skills, help raise test scores, and motivate students to achieve reading success.
(Q) WHAT ARE SOME OF THE BENEFITS OF READING COUNTS?
(A) Scholastic Reading Counts!:
- MOTIVATES students with suggested reading choices that match their interests and reading levels.
- EMPOWERS educators with reports and actionable date at the student, school and district level.
- REINFORCES comprehension, vocabulary, and fluency skills.
Surrounding students with a wide variety of leveled literature and nonfiction texts in the classroom, in the school library, and at home is a great start to creating lifelong readers. With Scholastic Reading Counts! your students have a Lexile®-based independent reading program that tracks their success on the books they read, in and out of school. This technology-based program creates a personalized and engaging learning environment that ensures independent reading accountability.
(Q) WHAT IS A LEXILE?
(A) A Lexile measure is a unit for measuring text difficulty based on the variables of syntax and semantic difficulty. Semantic difficulty refers to the level of familiarity or frequency of the text’s vocabulary whereas syntax refers to the level of difficulty in terms of sentence length. The Lexile scale is a developmental scale for reading that ranges from below 200L for beginning-reader level to 1700L for advanced level. Below are the Lexile ranges as aligned by the California State Standards:
(Q) WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO USE READING COUNTS?
(A) Generally students begin the Reading Counts Program when they are in 2nd Grade, however if a teacher and parent believe a student's reading ability and comprehension are ready prior to 2nd grade an assessment can be performed by the teacher to determine eligibility.
(Q) HOW DOES READING COUNTS WORK?
(A) It's easy...
- Start with any great book found in the school library—fiction, nonfiction, and curriculum-based books that the student WANTs to read that's Lexile is within their assessed range.
- Student reads a book and take the corresponding quiz. SRC! automatically generates a quiz that meets each student's reading needs.
- If the student gets a 90% or higher they turn in that book and select another. Working with their librarian and teacher increases in Lexile level will be determined. If a student gets less than 90% they generally read the book again and retest or work with their librarian and teacher to ensure their original selection was aligned to their Lexile level.
- At Green Valley Elementary, individuals are recognized monthly at various word counts and the entire student body is awarded when they have met the school goal set for that academic year (NOTE: 2016-2017 goal is 115 million words.)